Jolly Ginger Rice
By CL WEARNE - sauce club member
This is based on a one pot african rice dish that is great for using up leftover meat and is also very easy!
Quantities make 2 dinners a 2 tupperware packed lunches
1 pepper, sliced
1 onion, sliced
Chilli/s (adjust to your fire tolerance) sliced finely
Tbsp tomato sauce
2 tbsp (at least) Chef Bernie’s Ginger Sauce
250ml rice (adjust to your appetite!)
Tin of chopped tomatoes
500g (ish) left over meat - for example brisket or pork that had been marinated in Chef Bernie’s Ginger Sauce and slow roasted though anything would work I think.
2 handfuls of spinach
Coriander & lime to serve
- Heat the garlic oil in the pan and add the sliced onion and a pinch of salt. Cook until the onion softens slightly
- Add the pepper and chilli and fry for a few minutes
- Add the rice and stir through and fry for a couple of minutes
- Add the Chef Bernie’s Ginger Sauce and chopped tomatoes, stir through and put the lid on
- When the rice is mostly cooked, stir through the left-over meat - little bits cook better
- When the rice is pretty much done stir in the spinach - leaving the lid off as it will create extra water
- Sprinkle with coriander and spritz with some lime before serving.